Monday, August 3, 2009

Yard Project #834


I am not known for my green thumb or desire to be out in the yard for hours and hours weeding by hand. But something took over my body and made me start weeding and digging out some of the dead plants we had on our side yard. Once I had some momentum, I decided to clean out and refill our pond that had been dormant for the past six months. After cleaning out and preparing our side yard for some new life and color, I thought about continuing the work throughout the weekend.

Which leads us to a major project that Jon and I have been talking about but not really excited to start. I think I was hesitant to start this project as I was originally fooled into helping lay the sod. The entire pallet of sod at the bottom of the 10 steps. So removing all of this hard work wasn't all to appetizing. Oh the exciting days of early dating! I called for the yard waste dumpster and rented a sod cutter- all before Jon got home and could talk me out of it. After two days of hard labor our dead gopher-hole ridden lawn has been removed. Now we are the proud owners of a big dirt patch. Unfortunately we don't have any available weekends to work on this project until September. Which should give our neighbors sufficient time to tell us exactly what we should plant and how to design our lot.

We are also now less one (dying
-non-producing) Avocado tree. This has opened up a large part of our yard and let more sun in to the the front terrace area. This begins the search for an olive tree to replace the Avo. Now we start the hunt for a Kalamata tree that is old enough to produce!!

No comments:

Post a Comment